Frequently Asked Questions

Can anybody learn to play the Double Bass or Cello?

Yes, absolutely! I teach pupils of all ages and abilities from absolute beginners to advanced post-grade 8 pupils.

Do I need an instrument at home?

Yes, otherwise you will struggle to make any meaningful progress. I may be able to offer a loan instrument for you to start with.

Will you travel to my house to teach?

Yes, but there will be an additional cost to the tuition fee.

Are you CRB / DBS cleared?

Yes and I also teach within local schools.

How do you set your fees?

Fees are calculated based on a pupil receiving 36 lessons per year and take into account the lesson, lesson preparation time, resources, professional development, instrument maintenance, and other business overheads.

How do I pay for lessons?

Lessons are invoiced in half-term blocks and I accept payment by cash, cheque or bank transfer.

Changes due to COVID 19

Currently lessons are invoiced in 4 weekly blocks and only payment via Bank Transfer is accepted.

What if I or my child is unwell?

I am not able to cover the costs of sickness so unfortunately that lesson will have to be missed. Please do not send a child for a lesson if they are unwell and off school due to illness.

What if my child has injured their hand and cannot play?

We will focus on other aspects of their musical education; music theory, practical musicianship, aural skills, music history etc. until they have recovered.

Can a lesson be re-arranged if I am not able to keep to my lesson time?

If significant notice (a minimum of 2 weeks) is given then I may be able to re-arrange the lesson. This is entirely discretionary on my part and will rely in part on your flexibility and ability to attend at short notice if I receive a cancellation.

What if your term dates differ from my child's school?

Notify me at the start of the term and we will work around it and the invoice altered accordingly.

Is the cost of music included in the tuition fee?

No, I usually source music for each child as this is more convenient for the parents and then invoice separately for it. You can source your own music if you prefer.

Is the cost of exams included in the tuition fee?

No, I will enter you for the exam as I am registered as the applicant but you will be invoiced for the cost of the exam. Exam fees are set by ABRSM and Trinity and can be found here and here.

Which is exam board do you use?

I enter all exams through either the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) or Trinity College London (TCL).

Do you have insurance?

Yes, as a member of the Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM) and the European String Teachers Association (ESTA) I have liability cover and 3rd party damage cover up to £10million.